Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thing #15

I can't stop thinking about the video that was part of this exercise. I have always known that this generation was very "techie", but until I read their thoughts and opinions about how they are being educated and how they are educating themselves, put into simple statements, I've just let my thoughts about technology related to education be "fleeting". This video is great food for thought...especially for me.

I am sitting in the Schulenburgh Public Library working on my assignments and my feelings about libraries of the future are swirling in my head. Have you ever experienced a small town library? Schulenburg's is in transition, as they are building a new one and the present library, that is across the street from my house, is just being maintained at this point. All the financial resources are being "saved" for the new library. As I look around, there are of course, shelves and shelves of books, CD's, DVD's, and Xerox machine, and 8 computers. They are still using the manual check-out system with date-stamped cards. NO ONE is at the shelves! Everyone visiting the library is on the computer. Literally, everyone! I am more convinced than ever that my collection of teacher resources is going to be unappreciated by whom ever I "WILL" them to in the future. Will future generations of my family ever value my collection of children's literature the way I do? Does anyone other than me and Mama Libearian covet my antique card catalogs made of pure maple? You need to know, I have an addiction to anything made out of paper...cards, stationery, books, photographs, and all of these have become something that can be sent/shared via the computer! Will I get any cards or letters in the mail 5 years from now? What will I need shelves for in the future? Libraries are changing, and I can't even imagine what they will be like in 5...10 years.

1 comment:

BJ said...

I just commented on another blog about the same idea of physical books not having the same value for kids today as they did for me. Technology is great, but there is nothing like walking into a library filled with books. If libraries change into places with only computers and ebooks, I think it should no longer be called a library. Library to me means books, books, and more books, promises, adventures, information, comfort. I hope enough of us feel this love for books that we will still be able to teach kids the pleasure of books, so libraries will always contain shelves of those hardbound pages that fit just right in your hands when you settle down to read, or escape, or learn.