Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thing 10

avatar - a new personification of a familiar idea; "the embodiment of hope"; "the incarnation of evil"; "the very avatar of cunning"

I wanted to get a clearer understanding of what Avatar meant, as my understanding has always been a "god-like being". However, after this brief, and I do mean brief experience, I have many thoughts running through my mind.

First, many of the avatars I encountered are so far removed from god-like, I wonder why this word is used to describe these virtual beings. I read quite a bit before I chose to enter my Second Life. One article I read was about a woman whose avatar was enslaved by her boyfriend. While she was "off-line", he decided to make her avatar his slave. When she returned, her own virtual home was a mess and her avatar was a wreck. To get back at him, she planned a pool party while he was "off-line". His avatar, which was on "auto-pilot" was invited to the party. The avatar joined other guests in the pool, and the girlfriend removed all possibilities for him to get out of the pool. His avatar drowned. I realize to some this is a game, but it made me think more deeply about the gamers and the gaming world. While this can be a great experience, like the video I watched on Heyjude's Blog: Soundtrack: Moderato – Alexander Blu (Creative Commons), about a school that used Second Life as a teaching tool for creativity and experiences, it can be a bad experience.

New to Second Life, I had difficulty maneuvering my avatar and I really wasn't so motivated to perfect it. I have never been much at playing games, and this was very similar. I have one language, so being among others who are speakers of other languages, and that have very low opinions of Americans, I did not feel very welcome in this experience.

I'm glad to have had this learning, and I do see the value it has in education for older students, but I strongly feel that you have to have good order in your first life before you take on a second life. I can see where one can get really caught up in a Second Life and abandon reality.

3 comments:

VWB said...

Yes, the history of the avatar is not necessarily a positive one. But as with many words, their meanings change and evolve with the times.

Think about the cute little avatars we all have made in Yahoo (they are on everyone's blogs). and I'm sure you have seen some of the vokis that some of the beachcombers have chosen to create from #2.

Another type of avatar is the Build your Wild Self

Ms.Bojangles said...

I tried Build Your Wild Self...my kiddos will love it. What a great follow-up to the Mixed-up Chameleon by Eric Carle.

atxteacher said...

I had trouble with Second Life, too. I spent so much time working on the navigation, I didn't have time left to investigate the learning experience I hear folks talk about it.

I've been advised to use a newer computer - that my navigation issues may be due to lower computer capabilities. I'm going to try one more time!