Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thing 5 Me and Facebook

This past Spring I was invited to be a friend on Facebook. I have an account, but no photo, yet. I'm searching for just the right one. So far I have been poked, hugged, sent a cowgirl boot, been invited to post my calendar, asked to create groups and hit with a pillow enticing me into a pillow fight. I've been sent a fish to save the rainforest and asked to be a friend by several people I do not know. I've learned that once you start accepting things like pillow fights, it is never ending. I am not a gamer and I do not have a screen addiction, nor do I want one.
I have enjoyed looking at friends photo albums, but would rather make a phone call and invite them over for dinner than send them a poke. I guess it is fun if there are long distances between folks.

Twitter is a little overboard for me. If I am falling behind in my day, I don't have time to Twitter people to let them know I am late for work or an appointment. I am a being there kind of gal, but it is good to know about these.

How can this be helpful to students? Connectivity. My nieces and nephews all have accounts and check them frequently. I am not driven by this at this time. Maybe in the future, when I retire.

3 comments:

VWB said...

are there no uses for these microblogging tools in school for your students?

Ms.Bojangles said...

Wow. How could I manage 22 4 years olds and Facebook in the classroom? With all the responsibilities I have with tying their shoes at least 3 times a day, reminding them to use Kleenex each time I see a nose run, and assisting them with toileting at the beginning of the year, in addition to the curriculum, I would have to mull that one over. I would want each child to have his/her own Facebook, but don't see how I could realistically keep up with it all. I introduce technology to my students. I teach them the names of computer components, how to boot it, and locate familiar icons. I teach them procedures to ask for assistance and a little about trouble shooting their way through PBSkids software. They are just beginners. Some come with some knowledge, but for the most part, they are non-readers. They read pictures. I don't feel that Twitter and Facebook could be managed independently. This id definately a one-on-one teaching tool in Pre-K.

VWB said...

Sorry for the confusing statement.
I think I really meant, would you not have reasons for following educational leaders who might be covering an early childhood conference.

I totally agree that Facebook and Twitter are really not for the pre-k set. and the visual tools are more likely to be successful in your room.