Friday, July 3, 2009

Thing 11 Citizenship

I enjoyed reading many of the articles posted throughout the links in this section. I especially enjoyed reading articles related to the different generations using the digital world. An article that stuck with me was about the "Digital Divide". I see this happening in my hometown church, as the new pastor there is trying to employ the use of technology to "reach the masses", but the elderly are feeling left out and angry. It is just another way that technology is taking over the life they know and are comfortable with. Many of the members of the session in the church have no interest in computers, let alone owning and learning about them. When the sermon is about "Be my friend on Facebook", he is losing alot of his congregation's interest. It was very interesting reading. So muc so, I might just have to pass on to him for personal growth and consideration.

I pulled this information from the NETS-T Keeping in mind that I am teaching the youngest learners, I have to bring this information down to their level, first teaching about citizenship in the classroom and taking turns on our two computers...

Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility

It is my responsibility to:

a. advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright,
intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources

In the PK classroom this would look like demonstrating using the computer and having a think aloud as I share research information, videos and music. I would ask questions to prompt their thinking about obtaining and using digital information.

b. address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner-centered strategies and providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools
and resources

In the PK classroom this would look like setting up a user schedule where all children have access to technology.

c. promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information

In the PK classroom this would look like demonstrating respect for student products by printing out/ saving the work they choose and displaying it in a manner that they can share their discoveries with peers and parents. Modeling for children how to appropriately critique a friend's work.

d. develop and model cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with colleagues and students of other cultures using
digital-age communication and collaboration tools

In the PK classroom this would look like demonstrating the use of online tools and giving age appropriate access and introducing "things" I feel the students might enjoy, like Wordles, for example.

No comments: